Thursday, August 28, 2008

swerving in and out of the fast lane.

I'm in one of those moods again today.
You know, one of those resolute, purposeful moods where I build up the gusto inside me to want to "start writing regularly in my blog again". My pessimistic, realistic self of course KNOWS this mood doesn't last. Since the only reason it's here at all anyway is because I find myself sitting at work without a thing to do... but nevertheless... I'll ride this wave as far as it takes me.

So here I am once again. I've decided to start writing my thoughts about the books I read.

this short little ditty is on "Chasing Harry Winston", by Lauren Weisberger, the author of the infamous "The Devil Wears Prada". I finished it a few weeks ago.

You know, I've found that I'm an easily influenced person. So influences such as Chasing Harry Winston, Sex and the City, L-Word, and Queer as Folk... seem to steer me in the same direction. (and as the stars would have it, I watched all the seasons of L-word last summer, and I'm working on Queer as Folk now.)
This direction, is the one facing a free (usually single) life. Free in all the ways that word was meant for in the 60's. I start wanting to live in an apartment with my girlfriends, (hopefully one or two of which are lesbians) and have those quaint little brunches spent laughing over last night's romp. I want to kiss my friends (gender, not an issue) on the lips for hello's and goodbye's. I want to go out and experience happenings that can only be aptly told later, in a Hollywood blockbuster. I want to wink at a hunk in a coffee shop and have him swagger over to me and whisper sweet nothings in my ear.
Obviously these things only happen in those books and those movies.... but this is exactly my point. I'm so easily influenced, that I start to build a mirage around myself and I submerge in those stories more than I should.

I notice this, because in the weeks after I read that book, I started reading some more grounded less "in the fast lane" sort of books.. so I notice the difference between my attitude then, and now. Of course I still use ridiculously metropolitan expressions such as "tweaked out twinkie", but I think those minor changes can be accepted as additions to my Encyclopedia.

It was a good book, very Carrie Bradshaw. A light read meant to accompany you by the side of the pool.

On another note, I bought Anna Karenina and Lolita last night. These actions pretty much prove my theory that I'm in a determined, mother Theresa sort of a mood. Diving into classics. Both Russian, I don't know if that means something... yet.

I'll be back with my thoughts on those.

No comments: